Delaware County's Guide To Effective Rodent Control
The problems that rodents cause in Delaware County are almost endless. Not only are these furry pests a nuisance to home and business owners, but they can also spread disease, destroy property, and more. Effective rodent control is essential for preserving your health and protecting your property.
Rodents In Delaware County
Rodents are sneaky pests, and there’s no shortage in Delaware County. Some common types of rodents you may encounter in the area include:
- House mice – One of the most common pests in the U.S., house mice are about 4 inches long and dusty gray.
- Norway rats – Also known as “sewer rats,” these rodents can reach up to 1 foot in length or more.
- Gray squirrels – Measuring between 9 and 12 inches long, these bushy-tailed pests prefer life outdoors but may also nest in attics and lofts.
Rodents are more dangerous than we give them credit for. Mice, rats, and squirrels can all spread disease — primarily through their droppings. Hantavirus, salmonellosis, and leptospirosis can all be caused by contact with rodent feces or urine. A violent encounter with a rat may also result in rate bite fever (RBF). Rodents may also carry parasitic fleas and ticks, which spread diseases of their own.
Besides spreading disease, rodents are incredibly destructive pests. They will gnaw on just about anything from cardboard to brick. There have even been instances when rodents have chewed through electrical wires and caused fires to start.
Rodents are also incredibly stressful to live with. They can be outrageously noisy and deprive you of valuable sleep. And the simple knowledge of having a rodent infestation can make relaxing in your home or business difficult.
Why Rodents Infest Delaware County Properties
Many rodents have evolved to become dependent on humans for food, water, and shelter. Our homes and businesses provide safe, reliable resources that would be much harder to obtain in the wild. And while rodents like groundhogs and capybaras aren’t likely to infest your home, rats and mice have made a career out of it. In fact, as long as there have been people, there have been mice and rats to pester them.
Rodents are experts at infiltration. Most mice only need a hole about the size of a nickel to squeeze through, while most rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter.
The Difficulty Of Dealing With Rodents
Once a rodent infestation develops, it can be challenging to control on your own. These pests can easily outmaneuver you and will hide in the most obscure areas of your property. Some rats are even smart enough to avoid traps and bait. Along with their high breeding rate, entirely getting rid of a rodent infestation is a massive undertaking.
That’s why the safest, most effective way to deal with rodents on your Delaware County property is with the rodent control experts at M.A.D. Exterminators. We offer powerful rodent control as part of our residential and commercial pest control services. We’ll provide a top-to-bottom inspection of your property for all signs of rodent activity and eliminate the problem at the source — all with exceptional customer service.
How To Prevent Rodent Problems
To prevent rodent problems from occurring on your property, you can:
- Switch storage containers – Keep pantry food stored in glass or metal containers with locking lids.
- Close entry points – Check for any cracks or openings on the exterior of your property. Stuff holes with steel wool and patch larger openings with metal lath.
- Clean up – Clean any food debris from floors and countertops. Dispose of the trash often, and don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink overnight.
- Ongoing protection – Keep rodents out with support from your friends at M.A.D. Exterminators!